[Cabal] Logos. Second draft

Ethan Blanton elb at psg.com
Mon Jan 22 17:47:20 EST 2007

Sean Egan spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Also, I don't think anyone doubts that Denis is super-talented. I know
> I couldn't come up with anything remotely as good.
> (http://gaim.sf.net/sean/pidgin.png was my best attempt ;)). It's just
> that on this project, his style and what we're looking for just don't
> overlap yet. I'm probably at fault also for not expressing what we
> want well enough.

I think this is precisely the characterization of the problem I see.
If I were looking for a more traditional corporate logo mark, I think
I would be very pleased with what I've seen so far.

That said, I am also left with the feeling that I have friends who can
produce artwork of this caliber, and I'm sure none of them would have
asked for $1500+ to do it.  The corollary being that they probably
wouldn't have done it in the first place.  ;-)

The score of 55/100 that I gave this was based on what (I feel) we
*want* versus what we got, not the absolute value of the work and
results produced.  Of course, I guess producing something that the
client wants is part of the value, so ...

> On the other hand, I actually kinda like this draft. The first drafts
> I actually thought were absolutely terrible, other than the neat
> quotation-mark-as-letters thing. This I could certainly live with, and
> the third draft I might actually like. It seems that every time I look
> at it, my opinion flips. When I read that everyone here is unhappy
> with it, and then I look at it, I think "Oh, it's not that bad!" And
> then when I'm thinking it's "not that bad," I look at and think it's
> awful. :)

I could definitely live with the first pigeon on the page and the
punctuation-text.  It's not at all terrible, it's just disappointing
for the money laid down, and the amount of effort I had to go to to
get it to him.

> I think my feedback to Dennis this round will be that it still doesn't
> look enough like a pigeon, and that it would be nice if it had some
> more personality and character. Perhaps right now it's looks a bit too
> "professional" or "corporate" for our tastes. Does that sound right?

This is fair.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.