[Cabal] Bad news from Virginia

Daniel Atallah daniel.atallah at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 20:39:28 EST 2007

On 1/26/07, Sean Egan <seanegan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/25/07, Nathan Walp <nwalp at pidgin.im> wrote:
> > Just for a reminder, can we get a bullet-list summary of what the
> > agreement they DO agree to gets us?
>
> - They waive the right to sue any Gaim developer for past damages
> caused by our "trademark infringement."

I'm begrudgingly leaning towards #1.

It doesn't put us in a worse position than we already are in.
Granted, we would be forfeiting some theoretical leverage that we have
to avoid further litigation, but (unless I'm missing something) I
don't think that we have a whole lot to fear in that area.  If there
was to be an issue with network usage or something, it seems like the
commercial clients (Trillian, meebo, etc.) are going to be far more
lawsuit friendly.   IMO, the worst part about settling in this way is
the time and effort spent without success.

I may have missed it, but I didn't read anything about what our
lawyers are recommending.  I'd be interested to hear their
suggestions.

-D