AOL update

Sean Egan seanegan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 17:28:38 EST 2007

Hey,

It's been a while since I made an AOL update. AOL has changed its mind
again about the deal covering "Gaim developers and distributors."
Rather than it being an agreement with IM Freedom, in which they
disclaim rights to sue against non-signatories of the agreement, they
want it to read something like "Instant messaging freedom, it's
agents, attornies, successors, assigns, and people acting in concert
with them (you) agree to all this..."

We don't think that's good enough, since we don't think we actually
have any legal right to make any sort of legal agreement in the name
of someone who submitted a patch 5 years ago, and since we haven't
really done anything since IM Freedom was formed. Most of the Gaim
work we've all done has not been "in concert with" IM Freedom.

We're not going to sacrifice this one; unless it covers the actions of
everyone who's ever contributed to Gaim in the past, the agreement is
worthless to us. If we don't make any progress on this front this
week, we'll go ahead with the ultimatum: let them agree to our terms,
or give up on negotiating with them.

-s.