.gaim Revisited

Kevin M Stange kevin at simguy.net
Wed Mar 21 06:12:20 EDT 2007

Kevin M Stange wrote:
> Richard Laager wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 04:03 -0500, Kevin M Stange wrote:
>>> I think I might prefer calling the logs dir "Pidgin\Logs"
>> Do you have a solution for the situation that happens if someone write
>> "Robin"? If not, is that a scenario that you're comfortable just
>> ignoring for now?
>>
>>> Is there any merit to
>>> maintaining shortcuts/symlinks and keeping our old layout?
>> No. If we want to keep our old layout so that you can just grab .purple
>> or .pidgin, then there's no point in doing the separation at all.
>>

> Yeah... What about if we just leave the logs where they are and create a
> "Pidgin Logs" shortcut in My Documents?  We can tell Windows to do this
> when we run the NSIS install script, and we could probably use the
> installer translation to choose an appropriate shortcut name.

It subsequently occurs to me that this would only apply to the user that
installed the application. which for a good percentage of use cases
would go unnoticed, but is not correct.  We could make it a part of the
initial profile creation instead, which probably makes more sense since
otherwise the shortcut would be dead until first run.

Kevin