cabal

Stu Tomlinson stu at nosnilmot.com
Sat Mar 24 23:07:38 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 00:15 -0700, Sean Egan wrote:
> On 3/21/07, Stu Tomlinson <stu at nosnilmot.com> wrote:
> > I don't like the cabal name in this mailing list.
> > Could we please have devel at pidgin.im, in which we discuss issues
> > relating to the development of this IM client that we can readily open
> > up later on.
>
> (I'm not positive if you're suggesting renaming this list or creating
> a new list, so I'll respond to both ideas)

I was thinking more of starting a new list devel at pidgin.im for things
that are not too legal-related so we could trivially open it later. If
you believe we can open up the whole of cabal at pidgin.im archives later
on then I guess that's fine.

I was definitely thinking of name-change related things that couldn't
yet be discussed on gaim-devel.

> > I also like(d) the open development we have (had) with Gaim and #gaim on
> > irc.freenode.net - would it be premature to suggest #pidgin for a place
> > for real time interaction on development issues (presumably a "secret"
> > channel for now)?
<snip>
> So, yeah, if people feel a need to talk as a group, in real-time,
> about the specific issues our attorneys have advised us not to discuss
> publicly, #pidgin sounds like an appropriate place to do it. But we've
> tread down the "secret IRC channel" road before, and it absolutely did
> not turn out well at all.

I am mostly concerned with getting the rename completed, so we can
release as soon as the lawyers say so, so at the moment I just want to
co-ordinate on that. My original "rant" was fueled by not really knowing
what was going on with the rename and I apologize for not just
committing stuff and seeing what happens :) Fortunately for me I got
over this anxiety and probably broke everyone's build by renaming stuff.

So far the discussions I've seen in #pidgin have related to one of a)
name change related things or b) how poor my email client is ;-) I
certainly don't want it to become a special secret IRC channel
(afterall, that's what #pidgin-secret-get-me-a-polite-towel is for)

> > Apologies for not being as active as I have been in the past, but I feel
> > it's almost a closed-source not open-source project at the moment and I
> > have enough of that in my "day job".
>
> I, personally, am very sincerely sorry you feel this way. I take
> responsibility for the way this legal mess has been handled, and ask
> all of you (and will ask all of everyone else) for forgiving me in any
> way I've handled this sub-optimally.

Sean, I believe you are doing everything you can to resolve this as soon
as you can. I do not hold it against you or anyone else involved in
Gaim/Pidgin and I do realize that it is just one of the issues we have
to deal with.

I love working on Gaim/Pidgin as an open source project - and being
fully accountable (immediately! :-) ) - I look forward to the day we can
continue to be as open as we have been in the past.

Regards,

Stu.