When to announce

Etan S. C. Reisner deryni at unreliablesource.net
Thu Mar 29 17:36:28 EDT 2007

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 12:03:17AM -0500, Mark Doliner wrote:
> So what's our plan of attack?  I don't think the release of 2.0.0 has to
> coincide with our announcement of the name change and other stuff.  I think it
> would be best to
>
> 1. Get a makeshift website up at pidgin.im (possible the same one from
> sourceforge)
> 2. Announce the name changes, non-profit, new domain, new version control,
> trac, etc. as soon as the AOL stuff is signed and done
> 3. Let people try out the code in monotone
> 4. Release 2.0.0 after a week or two, once it's been tested by outsiders
>
> I don't think having a new logo or a new web page should block us from
> announcing the name change.  I don't really think they should block us from
> releasing 2.0.0, either, but it WOULD be nice to have the new logo in place.
>
> -Mark

I don't think we need a website in order to release but I really think we
do need the logo and the rest of that sort of 'branding' stuff. I think it
will be much better to do that all at once rather than in pieces. By
having a logo I really just mean we need to have something to point at as
the 'icon' for pidgin when we come out with it.

This release is going to be big for a large number of reasons and having
something central and striking to anchor around would be really useful.

[Responding to more than one email at a time now.]

I really like the idea of putting up a 'Gaim 2.0.0 will never be released'
news item on April 1st, but we would really need something like the logo
to pull it off well. I'm imagining something like 'Gaim 2.0.0 will never
be released click the big Purple Pidgin to find out why. <pidgin logo
linking to pidgin.im>' where we throw up at least a temporary site with
all the information we think needs to be given out immediately and a big
download link for a mtn snapshot, or a beta7, or what-have-you.

    -Etan