When to announce

Sean Egan seanegan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 19:39:22 EDT 2007

On 3/29/07, Etan S. C. Reisner <deryni at unreliablesource.net> wrote:
> I really like the idea of putting up a 'Gaim 2.0.0 will never be released'
> news item on April 1st, but we would really need something like the logo
> to pull it off well. I'm imagining something like 'Gaim 2.0.0 will never
> be released click the big Purple Pidgin to find out why. <pidgin logo
> linking to pidgin.im>' where we throw up at least a temporary site with
> all the information we think needs to be given out immediately and a big
> download link for a mtn snapshot, or a beta7, or what-have-you.

Oh man, April 1st... good idea!

I don't want to actually say anything official and non-prankish until
we have a signature, though. I don't actually suspect that AOL will
suddenly decide not to sign if we announce prematurely (although maybe
they would if the press caused them a bad headache), but we've come so
far, there's no point risking it.

I'll be in Paris all of next week. I have a short list of things I
need to fix before beta7 (this weekend, I hope), and I expect I'll
have a settlement letter in my mailbox when I get back.

Hopefully everything else will be done enough by then that we can do
Pidgin 2.0.0beta7 (and maybe a Pidgin 1.5.1 for Warren).

I will let translators and packagers know sooner than that; I'll check
with the lawyers to make sure that's ok.

-s.