Using Pidgin in a Plugin Name

Ethan Blanton elb at psg.com
Tue Apr 10 11:26:48 EDT 2007

Sean Egan spake unto us the following wisdom:
> On 4/10/07, deckrider <deckrider at gmail.com> wrote:
> > In the past, several plugins have used "gaim" in the name of the
> > plugin.  Will plugins be allowed to use pidgin in their name?
>
> You're *allowed* to do whatever you like. You aren't legally protected
> from distributing plugins, and it may be odd to have your plugin refer
> to a defunct client, but the decision is yours to make. Only Instant
> Messaging Freedom, Inc. is in anyway required to change the name of
> our client.

I think the question was coming at this from the other side ... if we
trademark the name 'Pidgin' for an IM client, can plugins for Pidgin
use the word 'Pidgin' in their name.

We will obviously be talking to legal counsel about all this, but I
assume we can simply allow the use of 'Pidgin' in plugin names as part
of the blanket license.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.