An important, controversial issue!

Steven Garrity stevelist at silverorange.com
Tue Apr 24 21:05:37 EDT 2007

Sean Egan wrote:
> Sure. The real question I want to answer, though, is whether a clock
> is appropriate for *any* type of away status.

Thanks for the explanations. I think the clock does indeed make sense
one two levels. First, it can imply a period (time) of inactivity, and
it the person is elsewhere (calendar/appointment aspect of the clock).

Incidentally, the way the colors get more bold as the status is more
'severe' is very nice. The softest green is available, the soft blue, a
bit stronger, is away. Strong still is the yellow extended away, and the
red DnD is the strongest. It's a nice rainbow thermostat of statuses.

A hard-core usability geek might argue that the icons should have
distinct shapes (Gossip does this well, with a circle, triangle, and
square), but the mostly circular icons seems to work pretty well here
and are easily scan-able, even if you eliminate color.

Cheers,
Steven Garrity