Direct IM requests and the Request API

Ethan Blanton elb at psg.com
Wed Apr 25 11:26:21 EDT 2007

Evan Schoenberg spake unto us the following wisdom:
> On Apr 24, 2007, at 10:28 AM, Luke Schierer wrote:
> >If the UI Op needs to be modified, then now would be an acceptable
> >time, we made no promises about ABI or API with the beta series.
> >Still, I would like to be moving towards release here, not mucking
> >about with the code and introducing unnecessary experimental changes.
>
> The change in question will add 3 parameters to the request API's
> callbacks, but no shipping code in Pidgin or Finch will be changed to
> do anything besides ignore this additional information for now.

Looking at these parameters, they seem redundant to me; if a
conversation exists, the account and who parameters can be derived
from it, and the account and who parameters can be used to find it.
If a conversation with that buddy does not exist, the account and who
parameters can be used to verify this.  It seems that the conversation
parameter could (and should?) be removed.

> >If this change can be made cleanly, with all of our relevent code
> >updated as part of the commit, including any plugins we distribute,
> >then I have no problem.  Otherwise, it should probably wait till 3.0.0
>
> I'd definitely update all code along with the API change.  Here's
> what I propose for request.[h|c].  Please let me know if this looks
> okay and I'll proceed with updating the calls elsewhere to match.

Aside from the above, the idea seems reasonable to me.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.