An important, controversial issue!

Luke Schierer lschiere at pidgin.im
Thu Apr 26 08:28:39 EDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 06:43:31AM -0400, Evan Schoenberg wrote:

> On Apr 26, 2007, at 5:13 AM, Sean Egan wrote:
>
> >I say that, because MSN and Yahoo! both use a clock icon for away, and
> >a plurality of IM users use either MSN or Yahoo! (which, assuming Gaim
> >users are evenly distributed amongst all these protocols---which they
> >probably aren't---implies a plurality of Gaim users),
>
> FYI, an infusion of numbers into the above paragraph. I imagine
> Adium's numbers and Pidgin's proportions are fairly similar:
> http://www.adiumx.com/sparkle/?
> year=2007&week=17&graph=line&normalized=1#IMServices
>
> -Evan

Oh, I like these graphs! How are they being generated?

Assuming gaim's figures would be similar, which I suspect is a not
unreasonable assumption, Then Sean is right in that MSN & Yahoo make up
a plurality, but AIM is still the majority, and grows even more so if
you consider multiple accounts on the same protocol.  It was also
interesting to see the growth and fall off on the various versions.  It
puts new users in perspective, as a small but significant minority of
any given release.

luke