An important, controversial issue!

Evan Schoenberg evands at pidgin.im
Thu Apr 26 08:49:17 EDT 2007

On Apr 26, 2007, at 8:28 AM, Luke Schierer wrote:

>> FYI, an infusion of numbers into the above paragraph. I imagine
>> Adium's numbers and Pidgin's proportions are fairly similar:
>> http://www.adiumx.com/sparkle/?
>> year=2007&week=17&graph=line&normalized=1#IMServices
>>
>> -Evan
>
> Oh, I like these graphs! How are they being generated?

The data: Adium's update notification / downloading framework is
SparklePlus; the "Plus" part of this fork of the Sparkle project is
that it has anonymous, user-optional submission of usage data.  If
the user agrees to it being sent, the "are updates available?" check
goes through a php script which receives provided information and
then redirects to the actual version checking information, an RSS
appcast.

The graphs: The graphs are generated by php scripts written by the
Adium webmaster, Zac West.  He released all the code involved under
the new BSD license; it can be browsed via Trac at http://
trac.adiumx.com/browser/sparkle and checked out via subversion at
svn://svn.adiumx.com/adium/sparkle

Cheers,
Evan