List of things I don't like about using Monotone

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Mon Apr 30 04:25:22 EDT 2007

As promised, here's my list of reasons why I don't like using Monotone.  Some
of these might be fixable, some of them are just my opinion, and some of them
are barely even rational.  Basically I just think the added complexity of a
distributed version control system is annoying and unnecessary.

* Not being able to run "meld ." in the root directory of my source to view a
beautiful tree of all my changes.

* There's no way to view the revision history for a given file in the web
interface in trac.

* Commit emails don't always include a diff, the subject line is useless and
the emails don't always arrive chronologically from when they were committed.

* Having to run 'mtn commit', 'mtn pull', 'mtn merge' then 'mtn push' to check
stuff in.

* Having to run 'mtn pull' then 'mtn update' to check stuff out.

* 'mtn pull' and 'mtn push' take a long time compared to 'svn update'

* 'mtn annotate' is really slow.

* Given a revision number, I can't just subtract 1 to get the previous revision.

* I have to freaking compile my own deb for Ubuntu in order to use a version
that isn't ancient.

* Having to read large amounts of documentation to figure out how to use it.