List of things I don't like about using Monotone

Chris Stafford gaimsubs at notak.co.uk
Mon Apr 30 05:38:56 EDT 2007

Mark Doliner wrote:
> As promised, here's my list of reasons why I don't like using Monotone.  Some
> of these might be fixable, some of them are just my opinion, and some of them
> are barely even rational.  Basically I just think the added complexity of a
> distributed version control system is annoying and unnecessary.
>
> * Not being able to run "meld ." in the root directory of my source to view a
> beautiful tree of all my changes.
>
> * There's no way to view the revision history for a given file in the web
> interface in trac.
>
> * Commit emails don't always include a diff, the subject line is useless and
> the emails don't always arrive chronologically from when they were committed.
>
> * Having to run 'mtn commit', 'mtn pull', 'mtn merge' then 'mtn push' to check
> stuff in.
>
> * Having to run 'mtn pull' then 'mtn update' to check stuff out.
>
> * 'mtn pull' and 'mtn push' take a long time compared to 'svn update'
>
> * 'mtn annotate' is really slow.
>
> * Given a revision number, I can't just subtract 1 to get the previous revision.
>
> * I have to freaking compile my own deb for Ubuntu in order to use a version
> that isn't ancient.
>
> * Having to read large amounts of documentation to figure out how to use it.

I grabbed a 3.3 .deb targetted at Dapper (I think) off the monotone
website and it's working fine in Feisty. That said the whole process of
getting the repository and setting up the DB is enough of a pain that it
would have put me off writing patches in the first place if I didn't
already have one to fix up.

cheers
chris