http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/2367 - 2.1.0 GUI

Andrew Roeder correnthean at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 1 19:40:36 EDT 2007

Even though I misnamed my description,
http://developer.pidgin.im/attachment/ticket/2367/pidgin201gui.jpg explains
what I think are faults with the new GUI.

at all times, on higher resolutions (1280x1024) I am not exaggerating when I
say the icon at 32x32 loses practically all content, this is especially for
users of MSN where they expect me to see a 96x96 icon, once the buddy icon
display's the buddy tooltip this will at least be partially livable.

I find it ironic to say that I have "Stretched my window further than it
needs to go", It is my user preference that I rather have a more horizontal
than vertical chat(Given the fact my understanding is, you also enjoy having
"too many" chat tabs open at once, I'd think you'd prefer the horizontal
also to avoid having to scroll through the tabs.)

As I said though, for a user like myself which there are many of, I prefer
not wading through new menus to accomplish something that was "easier" for
me before, this is at my expense to appease other users, alienating an
entire different set of users.

I do not necessarily want tooltips on menus, but they are less intrusive
then a constant description on the toolbar for each, personally I would be
content with no descriptions, if the icon is of obvious design(which I
believe they are.) You are able to determine their use without needing the
description.  Removal of these descriptions would negate the need for -SOME-
the dropdown menus while maintaining a small toolbar for users who want
this.  The most common uses should be icons on the toolbar,  I feel the
buttons are unnecessarily large for their purposes, and this is why I think
it would be an acceptable change.

As for the redundant buddy icon, I am still an advocate that the protocol
the user you are speaking to should be openly displayed ontop of the online
icon and not hidden, this area provides for this.

If we are to argue the usage of tooltips I would bring up that I have been
forced to mouseover and receive a tooltip to determine a buddy's protocol
since Pidgin 2.0.0, whereas before this was listed openly on the buddy list
online icons, and could have been easily rendered more acceptible if there
was an icon to represent a "multiple protocol" buddy.