can not compile pidgin-2.1.0

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Sat Aug 4 10:46:47 EDT 2007

Mark Doliner spake unto us the following wisdom:
> I've been wanting to get something set up on my home computer for a
> while too. I like vmware.  Seriously, vmware server is free and
> freaking awesome.  You can even apt-get it if you're using Ubuntu and
> you add the right repos.  My plan was to have a script that updates an
> mtn db on my local machine.  When it sees a change it will
> 1. start a virtual machine running a distribution of Linux
> 2. ssh into the virtual machine, perform the build, put the results online
> somewhere
> 3. log out of the virtual machine and suspend it

Not that I have any particular problem with vmware (I've used it in
the past to some success), but I should like to point out here that
not only is qemu free, it is Free, and it would work just fine for
this.  (I have been using it quite a bit lately, actually.)

> And it could do that for any number of distributions.
>
> CruiseControl is a good choice for Java projects.  It has close integration
> with ant, displays junit test results, etc.  And since it doesn't natively
> support Monotone we lose a lot of the benefit it would provide us.
>
> Nathan suggested Mozilla's Tinderbox a while back.  I think that would be
> better than CruiseControl, but I'm not convinced that it's the best solution.
>
> I've heard of pulse, which might be worth investigating:
> http://zutubi.com/products/pulse/

The monotone folks use buildbot, and have monotone integration patches
for it.  I'm under the impression that it's rather a pain to set up,
though, from discussions on the mailing list.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.