can not compile pidgin-2.1.0

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Thu Aug 2 02:45:58 EDT 2007

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 18:06:07 -0500, Richard Laager wrote
> On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 08:41 -0400, Sadrul Habib Chowdhury wrote:
> > Anyone can give me a quick howto on setting up stuff so I can
> > test-compile things with different versions of different libraries
> > before I break everything else? (I would prefer if I can avoid
> > installing some virtual machine (eg. VMWare etc.))
>
> I'd like to see us get CruiseControl working again. I don't care whether
> we use chroots or VMs of whatever flavor, but it'd be nice to cover
> whatever we intend to support, version-wise. I have a physical server
> that will be shortly freed up and could be used for this, if someone
> is interested in wiring up CruiseControl (or similar).

I've been wanting to get something set up on my home computer for a while too.
 I like vmware.  Seriously, vmware server is free and freaking awesome.  You
can even apt-get it if you're using Ubuntu and you add the right repos.  My
plan was to have a script that updates an mtn db on my local machine.  When it
sees a change it will
1. start a virtual machine running a distribution of Linux
2. ssh into the virtual machine, perform the build, put the results online
somewhere
3. log out of the virtual machine and suspend it

And it could do that for any number of distributions.

CruiseControl is a good choice for Java projects.  It has close integration
with ant, displays junit test results, etc.  And since it doesn't natively
support Monotone we lose a lot of the benefit it would provide us.

Nathan suggested Mozilla's Tinderbox a while back.  I think that would be
better than CruiseControl, but I'm not convinced that it's the best solution.

I've heard of pulse, which might be worth investigating:
http://zutubi.com/products/pulse/

-Mark