Protocol icon column in buddy list

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Fri Aug 3 00:46:54 EDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 12:08:27PM -0700, Sean Egan wrote:
> I'm considering accepting http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/2380 with
> the modifications I describe in the ticket. Please discuss whether
> this is a good idea so I can help make up my mind.
>
> -s.

Assuming that you meant http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/2146 I still
don't think adding that is a good idea as I still don't think it is useful
information to have in the buddy list.

That being said, if we were to do such a thing I would *much* sooner
suggest adding a generic patch which adds 2-4 tree view columns, a string,
a pixbuf, a boolean, and if possible a generic widget and then let plugins
get written to add data to them as they see fit.

	-Etan

P.S. I wish the vehemently ignorant and insulting users who so demanded
this 'feature' return hadn't made even the thought of bringing this
feature back explicitely repugnant, but unfortuntately they did. I will
not stand in the way of it because of that but would like to go on record
as stating that I think 'rewarding' them (even in as round-about of a
method as this) will have no good outcome and while a few people will be
made happier it will just generate a 'flood' of people asserting their
superiority over us and demanding more changes. Also, I really don't want
or need comments about this P.S. I really just needed to put it out there,
focus on the real topic please.