Protocol icon column in buddy list

Kevin M Stange kevin at simguy.net
Fri Aug 3 01:17:36 EDT 2007

Etan Reisner wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 12:08:27PM -0700, Sean Egan wrote:
>> I'm considering accepting http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/2380 with
>> the modifications I describe in the ticket. Please discuss whether
>> this is a good idea so I can help make up my mind.
>>
>> -s.
>
> Assuming that you meant http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/2146 I still
> don't think adding that is a good idea as I still don't think it is useful
> information to have in the buddy list.

I am tempted to side with Etan to some degree, though I do not object to
the idea of having pluginable "fields" that could be plunked into the
treeview on demand.  I think extending the concept to allow the showing
and hiding of any field using a show menu is reasonable as well.

However, I have no strong opposition to the addition of prpl icons in
the buddy list to Pidgin directly, in spite of the fact I agree they are
not needed.  I may turn them off if they are added and on by default,
but really I don't care that much. :)

> That being said, if we were to do such a thing I would *much* sooner
> suggest adding a generic patch which adds 2-4 tree view columns, a string,
> a pixbuf, a boolean, and if possible a generic widget and then let plugins
> get written to add data to them as they see fit.

I think it might be better to provide an API to allow insertion of
columns, rather than providing a way to insert data into pre-made
columns, for better flexibility, though I am not sure how readily this
can be done dynamically.

> 	-Etan
>
> P.S. I wish the vehemently ignorant and insulting users who so demanded
> this 'feature' return hadn't made even the thought of bringing this
> feature back explicitely repugnant, but unfortuntately they did. I will
> not stand in the way of it because of that but would like to go on record
> as stating that I think 'rewarding' them (even in as round-about of a
> method as this) will have no good outcome and while a few people will be
> made happier it will just generate a 'flood' of people asserting their
> superiority over us and demanding more changes. Also, I really don't want
> or need comments about this P.S. I really just needed to put it out there,
> focus on the real topic please.

What is this blurry block of text down here in the periphery?

Kevin