Use case for per-protocol icons

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Fri Aug 3 15:15:25 EDT 2007

First off I want to thank you for actually reading that ticket and further
for taking the time to actually, constructively compose an email (without
yelling about this issue).

All that being said, I believe both of those cases have been brought up in
the past and as stated before the time when you need to know if your
communications will be secure is when you are in a conversation and thus
in the conversation window, and generally not in the buddy list, hence
having that information in the buddy list is largely extraneous, not to
mention that the protocol icon just happened to provide you with the
relevant information and wasn't actually conveying that information (for
example some XMPP servers are encrypted c<->s and some are not).

And as to the icons being cute, you are free to choose any single icon you
want for the buddy list currently, you are not forced to use the green
circle. And while you might have found it aesthetically pleasing to see
multiple different icons all meaning 'available' many many people did not.

	-Etan