Use case for per-protocol icons

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Fri Aug 3 22:03:43 EDT 2007

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 10:07:32PM -0400, Josh Williams wrote:
> On 8/3/07, Darrell Michaud <DMichaud at pragmatech.com> wrote:
> > While trying to find ways to enable the old-style per-protocol icons I
> > stumbled upon this thread:
> > [..]
>
> My case is that I have lots of buddies who use more than one protocol,
> and I need to know which account I'm talking to. There are many
> reasons for this, such as the person may have one protocol signed in
> at home and one at work, in which case I'd need to know that I'm
> writing to the location they're at.

Congratulations, this is often-repeated issue number 3.

> Another reason is that the functionality and even emoticon text
> replacements are different for each protocol.

The functionality comment is issue number 1 or 2 (depending on how you
order them) and the smiley things depend entirely on the smiley theme you
are using and what client and theme your friends are using. You have never
been able to count on what your friends will or will not see for any given
smiley. It just happened to work as long as all the official clients were
closed and the only clients around.

	-Etan