http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/2367 - 2.1.0 GUI

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Mon Aug 6 17:14:00 EDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 01:12:24PM -0700, Steven Brown wrote:
<snip>
> The Protocol should be displayed in the infopane either as an icon or text.
>
> As my use-case: I have buddies with 3 different protocols.  I've grouped
> them on my buddy list using the expand functionality, which is what's
> trying to be encouraged as correct behaviour and makes 110% sense to me.
>   However, I'm not always sure what protocol I'm talking on with my
> friend.  I've arranged his MSN at the top, so it defaults to msn.  But
> if he sends me something in IRC, it switches my send to IRC as well.
> This is fine, but I have no way of knowing that happened or easily
> selecting the MSN again account again.  (Go back to buddy list, find
> buddy, expand, double-click MSN account)

The Send To menu exists for exactly this purpose, and it is in the
right-click menu of the infopane for a reason as well. There has also been
discussion of printing a message in the window when the active
conversation changes, which never really went anywhere. Also, the infopane
was designed specifically to present information to you about which of the
buddies in the current contact is the active one for the conversation, or
so I seem to recall, and if it does not at the moment for some reason I
think that is a mistake.

<snip>

> Steven Brown

	-Etan