Reducing tab size

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Mon Aug 6 19:04:04 EDT 2007

Gary Kramlich spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Sean Egan wrote:
> > An update on my tab-width-reduction experiment:

 [lots of reductions]

> I'm all for experimenting, but if this is to ever see the light of day,
> can I please ask that we consider a hook or something so that I can keep
> the old behavior that I have no problems with because I never talk to
> more than 4 people at a time and would rather have all this info than
> the ability to open 239570293750932 tabs and see them all?</rant> :)

What have you lost?  In my view, the font decorations lose no
information over status icons, and in fact are *more* intuitive (in a
vacuum); I presume that the label shortening is either only used when
there is space pressure, or *could* be made to operate so.  The x icon
carried no information that the textual x does not.  What am I
missing?

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.