Reducing tab size

Gary Kramlich grim at reaperworld.com
Mon Aug 6 19:08:37 EDT 2007

Ethan Blanton wrote:

> What have you lost?  In my view, the font decorations lose no
> information over status icons, and in fact are *more* intuitive (in a
> vacuum); I presume that the label shortening is either only used when
> there is space pressure, or *could* be made to operate so.  The x icon
> carried no information that the textual x does not.  What am I
> missing?
>
> Ethan

That we're "saving" space in the tab bar to fix a design issue in
GtkNotebook.  That we're ignoring the wasted space in the menu bar*, the
wasted space in the infopane, and the wasted space in the imhtmltoolbar*.

I just personally think we'd be better off either fixing GtkNotebook or
making our own widget that doesn't spaz out and give us some useless
arrows when all the tabs can't be shown.

* Plugins can add to these areas, but currently not many do.

--
Gary Kramlich <grim at reaperworld.com>