Reducing tab size

Lukas Barth tinloaf at goerresonline.de
Mon Aug 6 19:25:55 EDT 2007

Ethan Blanton schrieb:
> What have you lost?  In my view, the font decorations lose no
> information over status icons, and in fact are *more* intuitive (in a
> vacuum); I presume that the label shortening is either only used when
> there is space pressure, or *could* be made to operate so.  The x icon
> carried no information that the textual x does not.  What am I
> missing?

You're right, the font decorations do not lose any information, but I
also would prefer if there were a way of enabling the old style of
status indication in the tabs, just because I think the icons are easier
to identify than text decorations, especially when using small fonts.
(And using big fonts makes me lose more space for my 125815398
conversations than icons do ;)).

I'm not a typesetter or a biologist, but i think especially "striked"
out is hard to identify, because horizontal lines can be part of letters
as well. The icons are very eye-friendly: IMHO it's very easy to
distinguish between different colors (If you're not colorblind, of
course) - The "offline" icon is gray, the "available" is green, the
"dnd" is red, the "away" is blue or yellow - all of these colors can be
distinguished from two meters distance from the monitor.

No, I'm not sitting 2 meters from my monitor, but things that are
difficult to identify make the eyes (at least my eyes) getting tired,
and people who spend a lot of time in front of a monitor (and I guess
many of Pidgin's users do ;)) are thankful for anything granting a
little relief to the eyes. ;)

Lukas