Use case for per-protocol icons

Eoin Coffey ecoffey at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 23:44:38 EDT 2007

On 8/6/07, Josh Williams <yurimxpxman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/6/07, Ethan Blanton <elb at pidgin.im> wrote:
> > This is *precisely* what I'm talking about, yes!  If you don't
> > understand the following argument, then this is absolutely the source
> > of the disconnect, and we simply believe that you are wrong, plain and
> > simple.  The user should not have to KNOW that MSN uses nudge and
> > Yahoo! uses nudge -- the user should simply say "I want to get my
> > friend's attention", and Pidgin should handle "nudging" or "buzzing";
> > these names are essentially arbitrary labels for the same thing, which
> > differ only because the protocol servers have a meaningless difference
> > in terminology.
>
> No, because very few protocols support this. That's my point.

Seems like this would be another argument for contact grouping, and having
pidgin figure out which protocol supports the  /poke.  What you're trying to
do is /poke "Josh", not "scan my buddylist for Josh, and the one protocol
hes currently signed on under that supports the poke, and then finally send
it".

Pre pidgin-2.0 I had my buddylist organized around protocols, but post
pidgin-2.0 I took the plunge and wholeheartedly embraced contacts and
aliasing and organized my buddylist around what I do (Friends, School,
Pidgin, Games), and its made things a hundred times easier to manage and
use.  Just try it.

-Eoin