UI changes

Sean Egan seanegan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 15:17:26 EDT 2007

On 8/13/07, Mattias Eriksson <snaggen at acc.umu.se> wrote:
> However the chat window change for 2.1 doesn't feel optimal, there are a
> lot of redundant information in the window with the nick in the tab,
> just below the tab.

Of course, this is only redundant if you have both tabs and the
"infopane" turned on. ;)

> I saw on planet pidgin that someone tried to get rid of the status icon
> in the tabs by replacing them with some text formating instead. I think
> this is a step back since it would break the consistency with the buddy
> list. The user would then have to learn another concept for status and I
> think that would only add confusion.

This is, of course, the obvious downside to this proposal. The
question is whether that cost – a new learning curve – is greater or
less than the benefit of more tabs.

>From my very unscientific testing (showing
http://pidgin.im/~seanegan/tabs.png to people who haven't seen it
before and asking them what they think it means), it seems that the
cost is not very much (people tend to understand it right away), and
the benefits, as you can see in http://pidgin.im/~seanegan/blog) are
great.

-s.