UI changes

Mattias Eriksson snaggen at acc.umu.se
Tue Aug 14 03:36:43 EDT 2007

mån 2007-08-13 klockan 21:06 -0700 skrev Ka-Hing Cheung:
> On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 20:35 -0700, Sean Egan wrote:
> > On 8/13/07, Ka-Hing Cheung <khc at hxbc.us> wrote:
> > > For me, the benefit is none, and after using it for more than a week I
> > > still need to switch to that tab and look at the status icon on the
> > > infopane to figure out the status of the buddy.
> >
> > Is that because you depend on the greater granularity of the status icons?
> >

> Just to give you an example. I was talking to the MSN student today and
> I notice that his tab is italized, and I was thinking, "hmm this is my
> current tab, status changes shouldn't make the tab italized!" Then I
> look up to the infopane for his current status and I see "Busy", after a
> couple seconds I finally remembered that italic means away.
> While it is quite easy for me to connect striked out with offline now, I
> still had to think about it or even look up that italic means away.

This is exactly my point... I bet the users will learn what the text
means, but to distinguish the text needs more thinking and thought
processing than the use of the status icons which we are so used to
these days. The icons are much easier to recognice without the need to
think but just know... since they have different shape and colors.

//Mattias