Can pidgin work with openssl?

Daniel Atallah daniel.atallah at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 12:13:35 EDT 2007

On 8/16/07, Jeff Sadowski <jeff.sadowski at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just don't see the reason. (That is a blind statement and doesn't
> point to any identified problem.) I guess my question would be
> directed at the fsf. I read the GPL
> and from everything I read about it it does not prohibit you from
> using libraries written with some other license. I was pretty sure
> this is common place. I thought some gnu software was compiled against
> C libs that where not GPLed for some systems. I read the openssl
> license and it is really short I just don't see where the issue is.

Did you actually read what I linked to?  It specifically mentions one
of reasons that the license is incompatible.

<snip irrelevant rant/>

> Maybe it was based off of an older version of the openssl license.
> Maybe I need to look around openssl's code more for more license info?
> Or maybe its just Richard Stallman's blind hatred. But I really don't
> see the incompatibilities.

Plain and simple, the OpenSSL license imposes additional restrictions
and consequently is incompatible.

There is lots of information about the restrictions of what you can
and can't do with GPL code if you look.

-D