AIM 6.0 protocol changes...

Thomas Hruska thruska at cubiclesoft.com
Mon Aug 20 19:23:33 EDT 2007

Has anyone looked into the protocol changes for AIM 6.0 (a quick glance
at the archives suggests no one has)?  Apparently it uses SSL/TLS for
encryption (AOL has received a ton of flak over the years for doing
plain-text transmission) but the new service ALSO apparently does NOT
use the familiar FLAP/SNAC layers for communication*.  Nor is there a
separate authentication/logon server.  Their main server is sitting over
at kdc.uas.aol.com:443.  That is all I've got via Ethereal in an initial
packet capture.  There is some XML stuff in the results from another
server (looks ad-server related)...perhaps useful, perhaps not.

If AOL takes the 'login.oscar.aol.com' (OSCAR) and BOS servers down,
GAIM (along with all other third-party AIM clients) will lose access to
the AIM service.  Figuring out how AIM talks to the new server is going
to be tough.  AIM 6 probably verifies the SSL certificate that is sent
by the server (that verification probably isn't complete**).  It'll
probably have to be a man-in-the-middle-messing-with-Crypto-API-hooking
attack to passively watch the decrypted traffic.

* Ran a quick test by writing a script and connecting in and attempting
to retrieve the first 6 bytes of the "Connection Acknowledge" command
FLAP.  It just sat there attempting to read data until the connection
timed out (it definitely connected).  I then verified that the script
was working by connecting into login.oscar.aol.com:5190, which, of
course, gave me the expected response.  The protocol appears to have
been significantly changed - such that existing code won't work - and
perhaps the protocol has been replaced entirely with something new.

** It may be possible to create a DNS cache poisoning (to localhost)
with a certificate from the same issuer as the root cert. plus develop a
local server designed to break the protocol.  I didn't check to see who
issued the cert. but as long as it isn't self-signed, it shouldn't be a
problem other than cost.  Possibly a lot faster than trying to hook APIs.

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President

*NEW* MyTaskFocus 1.1