Conversation window UI

Sean Egan seanegan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 20:08:08 EDT 2007

On 8/21/07, Zan <pidgin at zansstuff.com> wrote:
> I know that Sean is opposed to giving people an option to use old UIs,

Of course it's entirely to make every UI change an option, not to
mention the support costs of having every user have some random
assortment of UI options turned on and off (just think about the
'blist options' plugin).. We might as well just go for the "skinning"
approach at that point.

> having to make two clicks to increase or decrease the font size is very
> annoying, especially when I want to increase or decrease the font size by
> more than one step. With the Larger and Smaller buttons, to make the text 2
> steps smaller involved clicking in the Smaller icon twice. Now, I have to
> click Font, move the mouse, click Smaller, move the mouse, click Font again,
> move the mouse, and click Smaller again. It's the extra three movings of the
> mouse (and the associated searching for the place to click) that really
> makes it annoying.

Since there are only a limited number of sizes, would it make sense to
list all of them in the menu, instead of requring you to choose
"larger" several times?

> If Sean really wants everything in non-customizable submenus, at least
> showing the keyboard shortcuts in the menu would be nice (the same way that
> the options menu shows that "Show Timestamps" is F2). It took me trial and
> error to figure out that shortcut to change font size is CTRL+ -/= , and it
> took me a while, since the shortcut doesn't work on the numpad using CTRL+
> -/+ like in most other programs.

That's a good idea too.