Revision f6a67901e79d8d35e6bf30f0766b2417740090b7

Andreas Monitzer pidgin at monitzer.com
Tue Aug 28 08:42:04 EDT 2007

On Aug 28, 2007, at 14:07, Etan Reisner wrote:

> I've never used a gateway in my life nor do I know anything about the
> protocol for them so I'm not really qualified to discuss that
> aspect of
> things, but I think assuming anything about any roster item is
> broken. If
> there is no other way reliably determine when something is a
> gateway then
> I think the protocol for them is broken and I would rather not
> support it.

The problem is not in the gateway but in XMPP itself. You can't
discover any capabilities of roster items while they are offline.

The only handling change in libpurple for guessed gateways is the
addition of the log in/log out actions, which send directed presences
to the JIDs. I don't think this is a huge problem when libpurple
guessed incorrectly.
Further, JIDs without an @ are always some kind of service, where
logging in/out might be relevant, even when it's not a gateway.
Finally, I can't think of a way or reason how some non-gateway
service JID should end up on your roster...

andy