Revision f6a67901e79d8d35e6bf30f0766b2417740090b7

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Tue Aug 28 10:56:58 EDT 2007

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 02:42:04PM +0200, Andreas Monitzer wrote:
> On Aug 28, 2007, at 14:07, Etan Reisner wrote:
>
> >I've never used a gateway in my life nor do I know anything about the
> >protocol for them so I'm not really qualified to discuss that
> >aspect of
> >things, but I think assuming anything about any roster item is
> >broken. If
> >there is no other way reliably determine when something is a
> >gateway then
> >I think the protocol for them is broken and I would rather not
> >support it.
>
> The problem is not in the gateway but in XMPP itself. You can't
> discover any capabilities of roster items while they are offline.

I'm aware of where the problem is that's why I said the protocol for them
is broken. Gateways have always been (and will always be) a hack.

> The only handling change in libpurple for guessed gateways is the
> addition of the log in/log out actions, which send directed presences
> to the JIDs. I don't think this is a huge problem when libpurple
> guessed incorrectly.

Having menu items that are active and do nothing is bad, it is even worse
when the menu items are named such as to be confusing which is exactly
what "Log In" and "Log Out" menu items are. I can virtually guarantee you
that if pidgin ships such menu items at least one person will see it and
wonder why they can log out of their account via the right-click menu for
a buddy. This person may be a user or they may be a translator.

> Further, JIDs without an @ are always some kind of service, where
> logging in/out might be relevant, even when it's not a gateway.

Yes, logging in and out might be relevant, but they could just as easily
be relevant to something that is a bare JID (like a MUC room for example).
The point here is that guessing when something is or isn't applicable is
generally a bad idea.

> Finally, I can't think of a way or reason how some non-gateway
> service JID should end up on your roster...

Because you are the administrator of your server or some other service
which responds to messages and you don't want to type it in all the time.
Just because you can't think of how it might be used doesn't mean there
isn't a use for it.

> andy

	-Etan