Revision f6a67901e79d8d35e6bf30f0766b2417740090b7

Andreas Monitzer pidgin at monitzer.com
Tue Aug 28 10:17:15 EDT 2007

On Aug 28, 2007, at 16:06, Ethan Blanton wrote:

> Andreas Monitzer spake unto us the following wisdom:
>> On Aug 28, 2007, at 14:03, Nathan Walp wrote:
>>> This is *exactly* why I don't like implementing them.  They do
>>> change out from under you.
>>
>> Note that XEP-0115 is draft, not experimental.
>
> Was it experimental when you implemented it, and changed going to
> draft?

No, it was draft already, that's why the new version is backwards-
compatible.

> I don't understand this -- we already do some image conversions, and
> we don't require any additional libraries to do so.  GdkPixbuf is
> perfectly capable of converting among the formats it understands
> (gdk_pixbuf_save_to_buffer).

Ah ok, so glib already provides this, I didn't know that.

> ... so use grep.  A trivial use of "grep '^    ' *.[ch]" found 112
> possibly offending lines, most of which *are* offending lines.  Start
> with buddy.c:132 and work your way down.

ok, thanks for the pointer, I'll look at it asap.

> For the record, _tabs are 8 spaces_.  (You're not alone in not
> understanding that, several of the other Pidgin developers use 4-space
> tabs, as well.)

Incidentally, that's the reason I don't like using tabs in source
code, since it always ends up causing trouble when working on more
than one text editor.

> Changing this value without making other corrections
> to your code formatting will lead to improperly formatted code in any
> number of situations (including people who use proper, 8-space tabs).

I took care to avoid those, since they're only special cases (like
when trying to align some things in non-multiples of eight).

> (Note that I myself also prefer 4-space indentation -- but that is a
> completely separate issue.)

The problem I myself have with 8space-tabs is that at the amount of
indention you usually run into in code nowadays, you're soon bound to
have the text view spanning two or three displays horizontally to
keep the full code line onscreen. I prefer my code windows to have a
maximum width of half a screen, and don't like horizontal scrolling.

andy