Elimination of Howl backend for bonjour prpl

Daniel Atallah daniel.atallah at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 14:49:25 EST 2007

There are now 3 implemenations of the mdns functionality for the bonjour
prpl: Avahi, Howl and DnsSD (Apple Bonjour) (only used on win32).

At this point, since Howl has been discontinued for quite a while, and
because I don't want to have to maintain it, I'm planning to eliminate the
Howl implementation for the next release from the im.pidgin.pidgin branch.

There are a number of things that don't work correctly in it right now (for
example, it doesn't receive updates and buddy icons are not supported).

Does anyone have a compelling reason why this shouldn't be done?

-D