libpurple.x.y.z file name: x always == 0?

Evan Schoenberg evands at pidgin.im
Thu Dec 6 13:49:52 EST 2007

When libpurple is built, the dylib's filename always comes out in the
form libpurple.x.y.z, where x is 0.  For example, building from
im.pidgin.pidgin right now, I get

=> ls -la
lrwxr-xr-x   1 evands  evands       17 Dec  6 13:31 libpurple.
0.3.1.dylib -> libpurple.0.dylib
-rwxr-xr-x   1 evands  evands  3017552 Dec  6 13:31 libpurple.0.dylib
lrwxr-xr-x   1 evands  evands       17 Dec  6 13:31 libpurple.dylib ->
libpurple.0.dylib

minor and micro are right; before the version numbers were
incremented, I got libpurple.0.3.0.dylib.

I've seen this on multiple OS X machines but don't have other
platforms on which to test.  Is this problem specific to my build
enviornment, or is something awry?

-Evan