steam prpl?

Mark Schneider queueram at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 14:50:29 EST 2007

On Dec 2, 2007 12:47 AM, Gary Kramlich <grim at reaperworld.com> wrote:

> Last I checked, the encryption was ice-key or whatever.  I can't
> remember and that was eons ago.  I may still have some of my work
> around, if I do I'll let you know.

I've been doing more analysis on some packet captures and have pretty
well decoded their protocol headers for at least the layer that Steam
uses on top of UDP. As soon as they start encrypting information
during the login sequence, however, I am getting lost. I've been
playing around with ICE [1] to see if I can figure out how their keys
are generated and exchanged, but have thus far been unsuccessful.  I
am not even certain that I have the correct ice or that they even use
ice for messages sent over Steam.  According to the Valve Developer
pages [2], ICE is used to encrypt script files used for games, so it
does not seem unreasonable that they would use it for their protocol,
however, it doesn't necessarily imply that they do use it for
encryption of network data.

I saw that there was a ticket on trac [3] requesting the Steam
protocol and have also posted some of this information there.  I will
continue to work on this in my spare time.  I welcome any offers of
assistance.  Is there a preferred way to share the information I have
figured out thus far (such as a wiki page or authoring a file and
attaching it to the ticket)?

-Mark

[1] http://www.darkside.com.au/ice/
[2] http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/ICE