RES: Chat

Rafael Franco Carvalho rafael.carvalho at tqi.com.br
Fri Dec 28 05:52:05 EST 2007

Hi Sean,

>libpurple gives certain meanings to these terms: a 'chat' refers to a
>multi-user chat, or conference, and an account is an IM account
>belonging to the local user. By these definitions, you're saying that
>a Pidgin user can only have his MSN account in one multi-user chat at
>a time. Is that what you mean?

Yes, I mean exactly you said above. If you look Evan Schoenberg's e-mail
you'll see a better explanation of this behavior: "A single multi-user chat
entitled 'MSN Chat' ends up getting all messages for all joined multi-user
chats."

Try these steps to reproduce that behavior in Pidgin:
Activate your MSN account. Choose a buddy from your list and invite him for
chat (conference). Pidgin opens a 'MSN Chat' window. Now, invite another
buddy. There are 3 guys on the chat room. If you are invited to a chat
(conference) by another buddy, Pidgin joins this new chat on the same 'MSN
Chat' window, duplicating your MSN account on the chat room. Now there are 5
guys on the same chat room. I think Pidgin should open a new 'MSN Chat'
window, like Microsoft MSN client does.

Did I make myself clear?

Rafael Franco Carvalho
Technology and Quality on Information