msn-pecan now has direct connection support (fast file transfers)

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Sun Dec 30 20:10:57 EST 2007

Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> I, too, am in favor of moving to MSNP1[145], if for no other reason than to
>> silence the complaints about the lack of status (personal) messages.  However, I
>> would like to point out something that Stu occasionally reminds us of--MSN has
>> disabled old protocol versions only once, and this was when they moved to
>> requiring SSL for login.  This was when we moved from MSNP2 (or whatever it was)
>> to our current MSNP9 implementation's initial form.
>
> We had that implemented in the MSNP11 quite some time before the
> MSNP13 work started.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't some, or maybe even all, of this work taken
and extended as part of the original MSNP13 Summer of Code project?

>> In short, while supporting a newer version of MSN's protocol is important, I
>> think it's safe to say that we still have forseeable life left in MSNP9.
>
> I don't see any reason to go straightforwardly to MSNP15, so I'm not
> going to do that with msn-pecan.

That's fine; I'm merely pointing out that I feel it's important to move to an
updated protocol version.  I also think we have plenty of time to get the new
protocol's implementation right, as we appear to have a lot of life left in the
existing MSNP9 code.

John