Fwd: Re: msn-pecan now has direct connection support (fast file transfers)

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Sun Dec 30 20:40:35 EST 2007

Gary Kramlich wrote:
> I don't want to get too distracted by this, since we're being much more
> productive on other topics in this mail.  But we've all been down the
> path where we've thought we had the ultimate solution, and it may very
> well have been.  But if communication breaks down, from anything, and
> the reasoning behind the design is lost, all it leads to is frustration.

I'm inclined to agree; I was pointing out a factor that looked to me like it was
going to get swept under the rug and ignored.

> This is a big part of the problem.  When I am finally able to sit down
> and knock out some objects, I spent the majority of the time explicitly
> merging my way back up to i.p.p:h.

It sounds like at this point it would be easier to get your individual diffs and
restart on a fresh branch when you can actually dedicate time to it?

> I see the flexibility as the key factor here.  It gives us the
> opportunity to change the version of a protocol via the configure
> script.  For example, say we know msnpX is going to be turned off at a
> certain point and time, so all we do is tweak an AC_DEFINE or m4_define
> and we're using msnp11.  By a configure option, I don't mean just a
> --with-msnp15 or something, but just a central place to decide which one
> is built.  We could allow multiples, but I don't see that as exactly
> necessary.

Right now I'd rather see us get MSNP11 support in our existing P9 plugin and
stabilize 15 for future release.  I think Stu is also of the opinion of wanting
to get PSM support by implementing P11, although I'm sure he'd like to forget
the rest of the newer protocol versions.

Flexibility is good, yes, but if P11 support was already *done* in Felipe's
existing patch, surely it could be tweaked/retooled as necessary and merged to
get us to P11.  At that point we could forget about P9 except for any potential
use as a stable reference point.

John