msn-pecan now has direct connection support (fast file transfers)

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 19:10:55 EST 2007

On Dec 29, 2007 4:12 PM, Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 12:55 -0600, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> > Take for example personal messages, which are not the same as away
> > messages. Pidgin devs never really understood them, and now we have
> > whole sites devoted to them (twitter, jaiku), and even Facebook
> > supports them. AFAIK even the MSNP15 prpl is implementing personal
> > messages as away messages.
>
> "Personal Status Messages" are, of course, status messages. Away
> messages are a subset of status messages that apply when your status is
> "away" (vs. available, etc.). We now (with 2.0.0) support status
> messages for statuses other than away. I don't think the UI or core APIs
> are lacking here. If you disagree, please cite a specific example.

You added a word there "Status". In some protocols, like XMPP, the
message is truly a status message (like "be right back"), but in MSN
it's used in a different way, like "party friday at my place". Such
"Personal Messages" are not tied to a status, so if you go away it
doesn't change.

It's exactly like a second nickname. Perfect for protocols like MSN
where people like to put as much information as they can.

> At this point in your e-mail, I think that here we're actually getting
> to a tangible issue, which I'd like to focus on:
>
> > Split alias/nick, and local-alias/remote-alias. Actually a local-alias
> > doesn't follow Pidgin's principles; if the protocol doesn't support
> > aliasing why support it in the client?
> >
> > If that simple change gets implemented then I'd have a little hope of
> > change... I'm not holding my breath.
>
> I don't understand what you mean by "split alias/nick", so I can't speak
> to that at the moment. Further clarification would be welcome.
>
> As far as the rest of this, it seems to me that you want what is
> currently the "local alias" field to control the "MSN friendly name"?

Not at all. The friendly name is something a user sets for himself, an
alias is something a user sets to his buddies.

I hope that clarifies things.

--
Felipe Contreras