msn-pecan now has direct connection support (fast file transfers)

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 19:56:00 EST 2007

On Dec 30, 2007 6:25 PM, Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 18:10 -0600, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> > You added a word there "Status". In some protocols, like XMPP, the
> > message is truly a status message (like "be right back"), but in MSN
> > it's used in a different way, like "party friday at my place". Such
> > "Personal Messages" are not tied to a status, so if you go away it
> > doesn't change.
>
> Yes. It's a status message that applies for all statuses. We support
> status messages for all statuses now, including available. Is there some
> problem here?

Conceptually it's not the same, and UI behavior is not the same. Here
is an example use-case:

I want a new "personal message" like "party friday at my place", in
XMPP it would be my status message when I'm available (that seems to
be the sensible choice), the same for MSN.

The best way to do that is on the "personal message" field, something
that doesn't exists yet. It should work in a similar way to the
"nickname" field, something that also doesn't exists. There's a dialog
box for the MSN friendly name, but nothing generic.

I don't want to create a new Status just for that message, and I don't
want to re-select my current status, I just want to change my personal
message.

When I switch to my custom status (be right back) the best thing to do
on XMPP is to change the status message to the message of that custom
status, but on MSN it doesn't make sense, I want to keep my personal
message "party friday at my place".

Not only I want to easily change my nickname and personal message, I
want to see them all the time, as part of my "prescence" because
that's exactly how my buddies are going to see me in their buddy list.

> > Not at all. The friendly name is something a user sets for himself, an
> > alias is something a user sets to his buddies.
>
> What is it that you want changed?

Add the nickname buddy field (not the same as server alias), and use
the server alias as it should be used, something I set for my buddies
that gets stored on the server (no one sees that but me).

--
Felipe Contreras