text formatting in coversation window (and new layout#@!)

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Mon Jul 9 10:30:42 EDT 2007

On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 07:22:53PM -0400, Wes Morgan wrote:
<snip>

> On another note (way off topic), the new conversation box layout is
> terrible. I don't use a buddy icon and most of my contacts do not either.
> I don't use tabs either, and what I have is a window with the title bar
> having a small version of the state and my alias for them, the directly
> below it yet another state icon and then their actual IM name.
<snip>

Counting the window title bar in here is not completely valid, because
while yes you may have a titlebar which displays the buddy name and an
icon, I don't have the icon and I know plenty of people who wouldn't even
have the titlebar at all.

This is all just to make sure people keep things in perspective. What the
window borders look like is entirely outside of the control of pidgin, it
can only give values that the window manager can choose to use if it (and
the user) so desire.

Oh, and the fact that it duplicates useful information doesn't make it
terrible, it makes it at best redundant. Not to mention that the fact that
you don't use tabs affects your perception of it, as the tab using crowd
has a different set of complaints (at least so far, and that are also
being worked on).

	-Etan