text formatting in coversation window (and new layout#@!)

Wes Morgan morganw at chemikals.org
Mon Jul 9 16:28:05 EDT 2007

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Stu Tomlinson wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-07-08 at 19:22 -0400, Wes Morgan wrote:
>> Now I find that pidgin cannot bold, italic or underline
>> formatting to any fonts inside the conversation window or the input box.
>> Going back to the monotone version doesn't fix the problem. I've been over
>> my system with a fine-toothed comb and *nothing* has changed.
>
> Clearly *something* has changed, or you wouldn't be complaining about
> the changed behavior :)
>
> Arch linux users hit a similar problem and someone in #pidgin narrowed
> it down to a problem with libXfont - this is even mentioned in ticket
> #1873 which you found.
>
> Maybe you too have libXfont problems?

Yes, I looked into that. "find" insisted that no timestamps showed
anything had been modified in the Xorg hierarchy, nevertheless, I rebuilt
Xfont and every other piece of Xorg from scratch, gtk, glib etc... Running
pidgin in twm under a new user doesn't fix it.

The rendering of <B><I> and <UL> tags just doesn't seem to work. If I turn
on html logging, the tags are there by the screen name, just don't show.
Setting the conversation font to something bold does show up in bold.
Receiving bold messages from another user shows nothing. From what I can
tell, the tags are going into gtk_imhtml_append_text() and disappearing.

--

WM