Pref walking

Eric Polino aluink at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 19:29:23 EDT 2007

On 7/9/07, Gary Kramlich <grim at reaperworld.com> wrote:
> Sean Egan wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > I think the names of the preferences alone aren't generally useful.
> > Maybe it would be better to have it return the xmlnode of the pref?
> > And then have some prefs API to return fields from xmlnode? Perhaps
> > using GValue?
> >
> > Although, I have no objection to the function as described, either.
> >
> > -s.
>
> Funny, I asked about this years ago and was shut down.  Aside from that,
> we can't return the xmlnode, since that's only used for loading and
> saving (unless this has changed since I last looked).  But we have
> PurplePreferences which we shouldn't be allowing direct access to since
> anyone could then change them and the changed signal would never be
> emitted for it.

Well, I figured there was use in getting the xmlnode, but I didn't add
that to the API.  I just added the one method I was asking for.  From
what you've said and some more thought, I think I'll go do some
changes to what I've done.  But if you'd like to know what I've done,
my changes are in finchfeat.  I'll be pushing them upstream in a
little while.

--
http://aluink.blogspot.com

--
"...indexable arrays, which may be thought of as functions whose
domains are isomorphic to contiguous subsets of the integers."