Merging XMPP SoC branch

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Sat Jul 14 03:39:06 EDT 2007

On Jul 14, 2007, at 1:21 AM, Ethan Blanton wrote:

> Chris Forsythe spake unto us the following wisdom:
>> Ethan Blanton wrote:
>>> This isn't a "should have been followed" thing, really, and it's not
>>> at all about tricky version control checkin-fu.  It's simply a
>>> benefit
>>> of having a capable DVCS.  (The propagate discussion, elsewhere in
>>> this thread, *is* sort of about checkin-fu, but it is likewise
>>> simply
>>> a benefit of having a capable *VCS*, no D required.  Subversion
>>> really
>>> is That Bad, which is, I suspect, why no propagates were
>>> performed --
>>> anyone who's been scarred by trying to actually merge with
>>> subversion
>>> (or CVS) would certainly avoid it like the plague.)  The point of a
>>> DVCS is that any developer can sync with any other developer, at any
>>> time.  This means that Andreas and Augie could set up a rendezvous
>>> server on one of their boxes (or simply pass a database with the new
>>> revisions, or whatever) and work between themselves, without
>>> involving
>>> pidgin.im, or that Andreas could proxy revisions into the pidgin.im
>>> database on behalf of Augie.
>>
>> Yes, but none of this says how you guys want to do things in a
>> documented way of some kind.
>
> I think there's a conceptual gap here -- this part of the process
> isn't something which needs to be documented as "this is how Pidgin
> development works", at all.

This is indeed a conceptual gap -- one which most of the Adium crowd,
as a subset of the legacy version control crowd, share.

I've been following the monotone transition since day 1 on the pidgin
(then-gaim) cabal list, and have been using it since the official
pidgin transition to monotone.  I have no idea whatsoever how Augie
and Andy would go about setting up the distributed-but-shared
versioning you describe.  Can you please recommend some reading
(preferably more specific than "read the monotone wiki!") for how
this works conceptually and practically?

(All that said, I have no desire for Adium to become a specialty
distributor of libpurple.  I'm willing to have it track im.pidgin.soc.
2007.xmpp temporarily so long as we're propagating from
im.pidgin.pidgin regularly and maintaining a soon-goal of a merge of
that branch to im.pidgin.pidgin, but in general it, like, Pidgin and
Finch, should track libpurple releases.)

-Evan