Recoded Website!

Luke Schierer lschiere at pidgin.im
Wed Jul 18 14:13:20 EDT 2007

On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 12:34:19PM -0500, Kevin M Stange wrote:
> Sean Egan wrote:
> >> awesome.
> >
> > CCing Joe, whom I'm not sure is on this list or not. Last I heard he
> > was also re-doing the site to work with Wordpress. The main thread
> > about this started at
> > http://pidgin.im/pipermail/devel/2007-July/001785.html
> >
> > Kevin, will you be able to implement authorize.net's credit card
> > authentication protocol? We wound up with a sort of circular problem
> > where it wasn't feasible to forward with ezpublish because we can't
> > get it to run at the volume we need it to on homing.pidgin.im, and we
> > don't want to invest in another server until we have an idea of how
> > much income we'll be taking in on donations, and we can't turn
> > donations on, because we can't turn on ezpublish.
> >

> I don't see why not.  We work with Authorize.net at work, so I should be
> able to talk to some people that integrate some of our software with it
> and/or already know how to do it, as well as get ahold of any relevant
> documentation.
>
> I mainly started working on this because I got limited "go" feedback and
> no "don't go" feedback, so I just want to see if I should continue in
> this direction or if you would rather go for the Wordpress-ization
> method.  I really, really don't like CMS systems, so I still vote for my
> way, and so far this site I coded is smaller and more efficient than
> what the current CMS created and it should be trivial to add sections or
> make changes, plus we can keep track of changes via MTN.
>
> Kevin

Smaller, more efficient, and mtn are all key wins from my perspective.
While I like wordpress, I do not recall seeing anything in it that would
make handling authorize.net easier.  That would likely be a body of php
code that could be moved to a non-wordpress site.  Wordpress would
certainly be a significant step up from our current confusing CMS, but I
still do not understand the real need to use any CMS at all.

luke