Maillist config (Was: Gentoo Fun)

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Fri Jul 20 02:11:09 EDT 2007

Oliver Schinagl spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Hi, would it be possible to have an extra tag in the subject line for
> this mailling list?
>
> E.g. [pidgin-devel] <subject>
>
> all the other kids erm lists are doing it :p

No, that's a Really Bad Idea.  We've already been through it once.
Your mailer software should be able to handle mailing lists in a
reasonable fashion without this, and if it cannot, you should be
looking for software which can.

> it just makes it easier to build filters (other then using the 'from' or
> the like) and it makes it easier to see in inbox's aswell.

For reliability, you should be using List-Id or X-Been-There.  This is
in fact quite superior to using any of To, Cc, From, or subject
munging, as it captures Bccs and threads which are taken off-list,
both.  As far as display, my mailer marks the mailing list just fine
-- please don't ask for other people to adopt broken behavior to make
up for the inadequacies of your software.

> (If it's a user configureable option, why not make it the default choice?)

It's not, and because it's a terrible idea.  (The basic premise being,
not munging is always a better choice than munging, and it wastes
subject space to boot.)

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.