Gentoo Fun

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Fri Jul 20 11:38:55 EDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 09:57:02PM -0400, Eric Polino wrote:
> I have been working on getting the protocols on by default in the
> Gentoo package.  I'm sending over a link to the thread if any of you
> are interested in reading it and maybe letting me know something that
> could be added or corrected.  I think I've done a pretty good job at
> conveying Pidgin's position, but if you think anything can be added
> let me know.
>
> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_147071.xml
>
> Cheers,
> Eric

You need to point out to them that turning the protocols on by default
does not magically make pidgin require extra libraries or fail to build
without them. Turning protocols like zephyr, silc, bonjour, and gadu-gadu
on simply makes pidgin *check for* the appropriate libraries and *if they
are found at configure time* build the protocols correctly, if they are
not found pidgin continues building perfectly normally without them and
just leaves those protocols off. So if gentoo has the abilty to 'suggest'
dependencies the extra libraries should be suggested, if however gentoo
does not support suggestions then forcing the extra libraries is not the
right answer and it can be left up to people to correctly install the
dependencies needed for the 'special' protocols.

	-Etan