Persistent chat rooms

Daniel Atallah daniel.atallah at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 15:31:14 EDT 2007

On 7/23/07, Ka-Hing Cheung <khc at hxbc.us> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-07-23 at 11:39 -0700, Sean Egan wrote:
> > I think this sounds like a generally useful idea, and think we should
> > do it. Is it worth over-riding the "Auto-join" functionality with this
> > entirely, or just adding a new option in addition to it?

I'm not sure that this is quite the same thing as "Auto-join" - I
think converting the existing setting to the new functionality will
cause confusion.

> I am not opposed to this idea, as long as there will be a easy way to
> leave the channel temporarily without unsetting the "Always-in".

Yes, perhaps there could be two buttons on the tab (like the minimize
and close window decorations)?  I guess the non-default button
(whichever that is) could also go in the infopane.

I wonder if this needs to be a per-chat preference at all, or by
simply having two "closing" actions for rooms that are in the buddy
list we accomplish the same effect?

> Also, for a moderate-busy channel, showing the backlog can take a long
> time. Right now on my 3 years old computer showing a 154K log file takes
> about half a second, and that's only a single day's log (2007-05-11 on
> d at c.p.i). I wouldn't call d at c.p.i moderate, it's probably more on the
> light side. For a busier channel with a couple day's backlog, I imagine
> it can easily take more than a couple seconds, and people may end up
> keeping the window always open anyway.

Presumably we'd actually keep the conv. open and just move it to the
hidden conv. window or something.  The scrollback is limited to 2000
lines, so I don't think we need to worry about it getting too huge.

-D